Monday, November 7, 2016

Little bit of everything weekend

What a glorious fall weekend! And I was pretty busy with a bunch of things. Saturday started with a quilt shop hop with my mom, who I have to thank/blame for getting me into this costly hobby of sewing. I picked up a few things along the way, but mostly I'm proud to say it was fabric for other people! No lie.

My sewjo was a bit off and it seemed I made one bonehead mistake after another. But I forged ahead and finished this pillow featuring 32 different Tula prints, which look lovely next to the Kona silver background.


I kept the quilting pretty simple, echoing the lines of the stars.


All that I needed to do this weekend was put on the envelope back and binding, but I managed to stuff those simple tasks up in a variety of ways. But in the end it turned out just lovely. I adore the cheery bunny fabric on the back.


I also finished paper piecing these letters. So little, so frustrating. I got through a 12-piece section, only to realize I forgot the third piece. Sigh. I don't imagine I will ever enjoy the process of paper piecing, but I keep doing it because the results are always cool. You can find the free pattern by Quiet Play here.


The weather was also quite sunny and mild, so I was able to enjoy a bike ride both Saturday and Sunday - and the fading glory of the fall colours along the way.


This wasn't from the weekend, but I'll throw it in here. I made this Magic 8 Ball block for my friend Amy, who requested it for her turn as queen bee. I'm not in her group, but I wanted to make one as part of a thank you package for the amazing quilt she sent me out of the blue. Gotta love those burly beavers!


5 comments:

  1. I adore that pillow cover, it’s so beautifully made! You captured the fall colours and sunshine so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really like how the pillow turned out. And I will miss the fall colours, which are fading fast.

      Delete
  2. You are killing me with all the cuteness, Johanna! By the way, do you have a post on how to make the back of your pillows? I've always shut mine and would love to make my next one the style you make!
    Much love,
    @mayajms

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I used this great tutorial for finishing pillows - http://www.sewmamasew.com/2011/02/how-to-make-a-basic-pillow-how-to-finish-a-pillow-with-binding/

      Everything is clearly explained. I actually printed out the size chart and hung it up in my sewing room so it's handy when I'm making a pillow.

      Delete
  3. Great idea, Johanna. I think this tutorial will be my new way to go. Thank you for sharing!
    -Maya

    ReplyDelete