Thursday, August 25, 2016

Sewing retreat at home

Can there be anything better than a long weekend with a good friend and our sewing machines? That's how I enjoyed the last weekend with a sewing retreat of sorts at my house, along with a few little excursions that of course included a few fabric shops along the way.

First up on my to-do list was finishing the five pillows I made for five friends, all using my Squared Summits block. I love how each of these turned out - the same, but different. Most used my all-time favourite Anna Maria Horner floral.

Here's one for my Tula loving friend:


And for my orange loving friend. I really like how this larger floral print is fractured, and how it pairs with the orange background.


This fabric pairing is especially fun:


This was the requested pillow that started it all off. I figured if I was making for one friend in my IG DM group, I should make a pillow for all of them. Makes sense, right?


And finally a pretty in pink pillow.


Here are all the pillow backs because they shouldn't be overlooked with all that pretty fabric!


I also caught up on the Modern HST Sampler with Block No. 16 - Whirly-Gig. This is a really striking one.


My friend and I finally exchanged the minis we made for each other in our private Tula/Jaybird swap. We decided to both make Jaybird's Glimmer quilt.

Here's the pillow I made. That black butterfly fabric is the perfect background.


She made me a gorgeous and sunny mini that right away went on the wall in my kitchen, where she intended it to go. I like how they're they same pattern, but so different.


We also took a drive up to Woolwich Township to see the covered bridge, which I suggested was a great backdrop to get a photo of the Rebel quilt top she just finished using all Grunge fabric. Isn't it beautiful? Well, I got quite the surprise after the (windy) photo shoot when she handed me a card that said inside the quilt was for me!!! Wha?!?


I still can't believe it. I had wondered why she seemed in such a rush to get it done. Little did I know it was because she wanted to get the top pieced before my birthday. I really and truly was surprised. Best surprise ever.





4 comments:

  1. I so love your many pillows!! Your blog is so nice to read, and thank you for tutorial on the squared summits pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love making pillows. A fun and relatively fast project.

      Delete
  2. I wish every weekend could be sewing retreat weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish every weekend could be sewing retreat weekend.

    ReplyDelete