Monday, December 21, 2015

Soft and subtle

I've long wanted to make the raspberry kiss block, and making a mini for a friend's birthday seemed like the perfect occassion. I've been holding onto a bundle of Denyse Schmidt Flea Market Fancy forever, and it was the perfect soft shades for my friend Tara. The shimmery print went so well with the blues, and I actually picked up at an L.A. fabric shop while on vacation with her so some good memories with that one! And then I grabbed five different text prints from my stash for the background.


The blocks themselves were pretty tedious. A lot of little pieces to cut out and a lot of ironing. Also I wasn't especially fond of sewing on those triangles in the last step because no matter how careful I was, the blocks seemed to end up a bit wonky. But I got them all together fairly well with a bit of fussing.


I really love the effect of using several text prints. It adds a whole new dimension to the quilt. I really need to make something similar for myself, although I'm not sure I'm up for more raspberry kiss blocks.


The quilting is simple to let the blocks shine. I love how soft and fluffy it felt compared to minis I quilt densely. Then I finished it with a wonderful Grunge teal for the binding. I picked that up on a whim and I'm so glad I did because it's perfect. So I'm gonna use that as an excuse to grab those random FQs because you never know when they'll come in handy!


I love the bit of "Love" peeking out in the middle block, and thankfully the disjointed deer aren't too noticeable. This mini is definitely far more soft and subtle than my usual wild colour scheme, but I adore it. A good reminder to try new things!


No comments:

Post a Comment