Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Over the rainbow

This latest swap sparked my new addiction to sewing rainbows. The rainbow mini swap was so much fun, and an excuse to buy a colourful assortment of FQs by my partner's favourite designers. Oh and speaking of my partner, I was making for the swap host! Talk about pressure. I knew I had to do something big and bold because all 600-plus swappers would be seeing what I made.

Well, I actually went teeny. And lots of it. This mini is made with 484 1.5" squares, including 128 HST. And because I am a bit cuckoo bonkers, I pieced the border even though it was the same fabric all the way around. Why stop with the craziness there when I was on a roll?


Then as usual I did dense straight-line quilting. It was tough picking out a thread colour for the quilting on such a colourful mini, and I settled on a light teal since there was a lot of blue in the quilt.


I pieced a rainbow strip for the back around a churn dash block with my partner's favourite little bee ladies in a kerchief in the middle.


Then a pretty label with the feature fabric around the edge.


I wrapped the mini and extras in FQs by my partner's favourite fabric designer and finished them off with a big bow and colourful tag. I forgot to get a photo of all the extras, but it was packed with all sorts of goodies tucked inside a zippered pouch that featured more Heather Ross fabric. Among the treats: a handmade seam ripper, washi tape, markers, letterpress tags, tea flower, notebook with grid paper to jot down quilt ideas, clothespins with crocheted flowers, rainbow ric rac, a pack of Coffee Crisp and mixed box of Dutch sprinkles. I also made a Frozen drawstring pouch for her daughter and inside I put a Palace Pony, glitter crayons and stickers. I had so much fun gathering all the extras!


And this is the back. Oh, how I love the look of open seams on teeny patchwork! It really gives you an appreciation for all the work. So much time spent with the iron.


My partner seemed really happy with the mini and the extras. She even hung the mini right away in her family room. And her daughter was super happy with her Frozen bag, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment