Friday, December 26, 2014

Potholderpalooza

My recent frenzy of potholder making was inspired by a post on Film in the Fridge on a rainbow of log cabin potholders she made for gifts. My thoughts went immediately to the stained and scorched black potholders in my kitchen. How embarrassing for an avid quilter and fabric lover to have such eyesores when I'm able to make my own with beautiful fabric! And, as a person who probably all too often eats reheated leftovers in front of the TV, I use them a ton. Once I had potholders on the brain, I figured I should make some for Christmas gifts, too. (Full disclosure: I finished handsewing down the binding on Christmas Eve and Day. Now that's some last-minute holiday crafting!)

The first is for a friend and former boss who also loves Hawaii. I cut into a FQ bundle of treasured Hawaiian fabric, settling on simple patchwork. There's a thin plus on the back due to a little math oopsy when I cut it the same size as the front. But now it's a nice detail we'll pretend was intentional, right? I'm going to wrap it up with a candle and pretty candies I got in Spain.


Then I made a pair of smaller ones for an old neighbour who brought me a tin of the most delicious shortbread cookies. I'm not sure how I didn't eat them all in one sitting. These are some of those fabric oddities occasionally found in your stash - you have no idea why you bought them because it's not at all your style, but it is absolutely perfect for someone else. I like the wee dragonflies on the orange.


Then finally I made some for myself! I'm probably way too excited about potholders, but as you can see replacements are much needed. I just need to stitch down the binding, then I can eat leftovers in style!


No comments:

Post a Comment