Monday, May 19, 2014

When hobbies collide

This practice Swoon block incorporated my other favourite hobby, cycling. The bikes in the centre block are endlessly heading uphill, which is kinda how it felt on my 44-km ride today. It was a lovely bright day to be out cycling in the country, but I really began to run out of steam toward the end.


I quilted this with straight lines following an X in the middle (an idea borrowed from this quilty blog). The quilting is pretty dense and took forever, especially since I ripped out the initial X a few times due to annoying tension problems. But I think it looks really nice and gives the wall-hanging sturdiness.


I put aside my perfectionist tendencies when piecing this and didn't worry about getting the bikes all going in the same direction. And I have to say, it doesn't really bother me. Although I may be more careful with my full-size Swoon quilt. But look how these two pieces just happened to come together to make a perfect bike. Amazing! I couldn't have done that if I tried.


And then there's the back ...


I used up the fabric left from the front, including the leftover HSTs cut off from the piecing on front. But I still needed a bit more yardage, including for the sleeve to hang it, and didn't really have anything in the muted purple or orange. So I finally settled the green wavy/bubbly fabric from my stash. My reasoning was that the purple background fabric had splashes of bright green and yellow and it went with the polka dot fabric. But I dunno. It is really in your face. I realize it doesn't really matter because it's the back, but I think I'm still trying to decide what I think about the green. What do you think? Fabric choice fail?

No comments:

Post a Comment